Saturday, February 9, 2013

Masterchef The Professionals shoot with Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston

Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston, Masterchef The Professionals Australia 2103.
Photo by John Tsiavis and styling by Heather Nette King
Occasionally I get to style things other than fabulous chairs, rugs and homes.  And I love it.

Here are some pic's from a shoot I styled late last year, one that turned out to be a highlight of my 2012.  I've long been an admirer of John Tsiavis' celebrity portraits (check out his site - in particular the amazing shots of Chris Lilley), so when he called me to see if I could create some sets for a Masterchef The Professionals shoot I was, well, kinda beside myself with excitement.  Network Ten had commissioned John to shoot the publicity images for the new show - and John's creative concepts involved my styling four of the sets.  The shoot was just one week away, so of course I dropped everything else and started sourcing...

I can show you two of the shots - the rest have been embargoed 'til they appear in the press - but I think these may be my fave's.  The first is a lush, hyper-real Tuscan deli - well it's clearly shot in a studio, but the styling was designed to be rich and layered, evoking the warm, sensory delights of a traditional Italian delicatessen. We wanted to be able to smell the coffee, the basil and the smallgoods, to hear the subtle crunch of sawdust underfoot. Many trips to prop hire stores, deli suppliers and of course, that Brunswick institution, Mediterranean Wholesalers ensued - plus a quick visit to my mate Jen's to climb a step-ladder and raid her olive bushes. I adore this deli shot, and it makes me smile when I see Matt holding the small, 1950s amber espresso glass that belonged to my late grandmother, Thelma Nette.

Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston in Masterchef The Professionals Australia 2013
Photo by John Tsiavis, styling by Heather Nette King.


Now, I am no food stylist...and I am pretty sure that I have never, ever, publicly talked up my skills in the culinary department. Yes. I can do the basics, and I do bake a cracking pavlova, but that's just about it... So when John and his Photographic Producer, John O'Rourke, mentioned the need for some perfectly formed spaghetti and meatballs, I may have trotted out the line, "Sure, not a problem".  I mean, how hard could that be?  Then I went home googled 'Marco Pierre White' and I got the result... 'best chef in the world'.  It's fair to say I panicked.

Sooooo, what's a girl (who'd prefer to eat than cook any fine food) to do when she has to prepare a dish for the best chef in the world?  Why, she calls in the services of her darling friend of 30-odd years, Di Pedersen.  I literally said to her, "hey Di, can you whip me up some exquisitely formed meatballs for the best chef in the world?", and she came back at me, "yeah. OK."  Bless that unflappable woman.  We did a bit of a dry run, which from memory involved more champagne than spag bol (see below), but of course, this natural cook came through with the most perfectly formed balls of deliciousness, 






The shoot was long and intense, but so much fun, and truly satisfying.  Marco and Matt were consummate gentlemen, and a pleasure to work with.

I cant wait to share the rest of the shots with you!

Masterchef The Professional Australia 2013, publicity stills photographed by John Tsiavis. Produced by John O'Rourke. Photographer's Assistant, Reuben Gates. Client: Network Ten / Shine Productions Australia. Wardrobe and Mak-up by Network Ten. Set styling by Heather Nette King. Meatballs by Di!

hx
Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston, Masterchef The Professionals, cover of The Herald Sun TV Guide. photo by John Tsiavis, styling by Heather Nette King.

1 comment:

  1. Channelling Alimentari in the first shot; Laraine would be impressed.
    I love Matt Preston x

    ReplyDelete